Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Tipping is not a city in China...Nice graphic on Tipping for service...

Neat graphic on tipping for service.   I have to admit, I am a generous tipper.  I think I got it from my father.  If you wait on me you are guaranteed at least 20%.  I always leave a tip, even when service is bad.  Probably should not, but it is just the way I am...A sucker I guess...
Although the addition of a gratuity or tip to a bill is now largely perceived as a gift for good service, the origin of the practice may be traced back to 18th Century English pubs when tipping was considered an essential incentive for better service. These days, many workers rely on tips as a substantial and necessary part of their income. In 2003, tips from U.S. restaurants alone were estimated at a whopping $26 billion. There are many emotional reasons people tip, such as to avoid embarrassment or to feel better about themselves because they know a tip is expected. Employees who provide services may also use tricks of the trade to manipulate these emotions to receive a larger gratuity. Have a look at the history of tipping below (click on graph to the left).

No comments:

Post a Comment

View My Stats