Sunday, November 5, 2023

My retirement hobby--Fantasy SCOTUS

Don't, err, "judge" me.  Since retiring in January 2021, I have been an active participant in Fantasy SCOTUS, an online forum for crowd-sourcing predictions of cases argued in the Supreme Court's current term/session.  My handle there is "geneh".

As they say, it is the journey, not the destination with this activity. Over the past year or so I have learned A LOT about how the Court operates through listening to the live arguments, reading the "writs of certiorari" (usually only the abstracts/syllabi---these things are LONG and Detailed!), responses to the writs, Google searches for objective analysis of the cases, and any opinion pieces I can find.   

Listening to the oral arguments is challenging.  The complexity/depth of the arguments from both sides of the case can be very hard to follow.  It is easy to mentally drift when the banter jumps to prior cases/precedents and terms are used that are definitely "inside baseball" between the judges and the advocates.

The best tool for me to understand the oral arguments is a combination of listening to the audio recording AND reading the transcript of the proceeding that is made available shortly after the live presentation.  Those two things would be very time-consuming to do separately, however, there is a YouTube channel that combines the two!

For me, it is helpful to hear and read the arguments at the same time. I can pause the video to Google terms/concepts used in the proceedings that I don't understand. Often that takes me down rabbit holes but the point for me is to keep my brain engaged and to model being a life-long learner.

Here is a video of a case argued this week regarding Social Media and how government officials use their pages for private and/or public purposes.  I highly recommend this YouTube channel for learning purposes.






No comments:

Post a Comment

View My Stats