Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Taking stock of my own ignorance---a 24/7 task...


"I always try to take stock of my own ignorance in certain subjects before I label someone else as such. That seems only fair and I usually find, upon genuine reflection, I don't really know as much as I thought I did..."


Not an original thought. I have seen variations of it from a variety of philosophers. It is prompted by various postings I see in the blogosphere and on my Facebook newsfeed.

I try to post things (here and on my FB page) that either informs; points out something different to; or makes laugh, anyone who wants to read it.  For me it is fun, stimulating, educational, professional development, a hobby, blah, blah, blah...All good stuff!

Many others post things that mock, demean or other wise plays on the "ignorance" of others, and the comments flow in agreement and then some. Congratulatons: you win the game of intellectual superiorty!  I hope you feel better in your cozy blanket of smugness.  I say you are lazy and ask if you were really as smart as you think (know) you are, why not just forgo the "low-hanging fruit" of judgement and let it pass by? 

I guess (ok, er, I know) I have a thin skin. That stuff bothers me, especially when it comes from people I know and respect OR from people  I don't know but I read and respect.

I will just let John Coffey speak for me.  He says it best and definitively. 


3 comments:

  1. Gene... Wow!

    Since the subject comes up (and since it has been hanging in the back of my mind) I did not mean to be overbearing in my second on your Meanwhile, back in the Economy----Two Graphs.

    I was really impressed by that post at first. But my usual experience at Carpe Diem is that I think he's off-base. So I took a closer look at those graphs of his, and my usual experience re-surfaced.

    But I think maybe I overdo it sometimes, and that I might seem overbearing because of it. Not my intent, and please feel free to point it out when it happens.

    Art

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess I let anger get the better of me. Seems as though I committed the very sin I was preaching against. I shall aim higher. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh. I didn't see "angry" because you didn't identify anyone specifically. Frustration, disappointment maybe.

    "I always try to take stock of my own ignorance"

    That seems to be more and more rare, these days.

    ReplyDelete

View My Stats