Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Boys have more value than Girls. Don't blame me---How could 2 billion people be wrong???

Quite amazing is the social change going on in India, not in a postive way, in JUST the last 10 years. The ratio of boys to girls under 6 is increasing because of parental "selectiveness".  Boys are valued more than girls, and, well, you can guess what happens when parents find out they are having a girl.  Again I find myself asking the question "What is wrong with people?!?!?  Rhetorical question, there is no answer...I encourage you to read the article that accompanies this graphic and become more informed.   
Source: Christian Science Monitor
A similar thing is going on in China but, in my opinion, more hideous:

""XINRAN XUE, a Chinese writer, describes visiting a peasant family in the Yimeng area of Shandong province. The wife was giving birth. “We had scarcely sat down in the kitchen”, she writes (see article), “when we heard a moan of pain from the bedroom next door…The cries from the inner room grew louder—and abruptly stopped. There was a low sob, and then a man’s gruff voice said accusingly: ‘Useless thing!’

“Suddenly, I thought I heard a slight movement in the slops pail behind me,” Miss Xinran remembers. “To my absolute horror, I saw a tiny foot poking out of the pail. The midwife must have dropped that tiny baby alive into the slops pail! I nearly threw myself at it, but the two policemen [who had accompanied me] held my shoulders in a firm grip. ‘Don’t move, you can’t save it, it’s too late.’

“‘But that’s...murder...and you’re the police!’ The little foot was still now. The policemen held on to me for a few more minutes. ‘Doing a baby girl is not a big thing around here,’ [an] older woman said comfortingly. ‘That’s a living child,’ I said in a shaking voice, pointing at the slops pail. ‘It’s not a child,’ she corrected me. ‘It’s a girl baby, and we can’t keep it. Around these parts, you can’t get by without a son. Girl babies don’t count.’” Source: The Economist

No comments:

Post a Comment

View My Stats