Sunday, April 10, 2011

President Obama and Former BP CEO Tony Hayward appear to be kindred souls...Both just want their lives back...

I dislike it when someone (Presidents, CEO's, actors, etc) who seeks fame and fortune, and are well compensated for it, lament the fact that they cannot remain anonymous or just have a "regular life".  I understand what they are saying  but I believe you forfeit this privilege when you put yourself in the public eye. So, suck it up cupcake---you can't have it both ways (TANSTAAFL)...

"I just miss - I miss being anonymous," he said at the meeting in the White House. "I miss Saturday morning, rolling out of bed, not shaving, getting into my car with my girls, driving to the supermarket, squeezing the fruit, getting my car washed, taking walks. I can't take a walk."---Pres Barack Obama.

I thought I have heard something similar, but I can't quite recall where...Oh, yea, now I remember...

"We're sorry for the massive disruption it's caused their lives. There's no one who wants this over more than I do. I would like my life back."--Tony Hayward, BP Oil Company CEO...

3 comments:

  1. I think the words these two men said can apply to anyone in the spotlight, especially when it comes to people who under particular public scrutiny. We often forget that figures like the president are people, too. Whether we are democrats or republicans, I think we can all agree that being president is a very hard job. And while we're quick to criticize the CEO of BP, the majority of us either aren't willing or capable of taking on such a role. Part of being a leader, I suppose, is being decisive and sticking with those decisions even if they do turn sour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On one hand, I think Tony Hayward changed his name to 'Hayward' to elicit more sympathy for himself from you :) On the other, invisible, hand, there's just as many 'normal' people that want to be famous as the other way around. Are they not quoted because they're not famous, not important? There's some irony. And is it simply that one is better than the other or is it truly a tragic case of the grass being greener? Furthermore, during the oil spill, many people wanted BP to personally pay people for it. Should BP simply have paid the government to take over instead of simply paying affected people compensation because the government money multiplier is greater than consumers'? The people are going to SAVE some of that money that could be going towards the gulf's GDP! BP paying affected people compensation was a waste of resources!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course Obama and Hayward want to be able to do normal things again. They are constantly criticised and blamed for everything, but they knew what they were getting themselves into. Obama is the face of the U.S. and Hayward is the face for BP. They made the decision that they wanted EVERYTHING that came with their positions, including media attention. He is seen an important person, so of course everyone wants to have an insight into his life. Although I feel bad for them, in a way, no one forced them to take these positions. They're famous and I doubt they complain when their checks come in the mail.

    ReplyDelete

View My Stats