Saturday, January 29, 2011

Creative Destruction by way of the Smartphone---I am in awe of technology and its potential

Being of "a certain age", I pause everytime I see something like this and think about how technology has changed in a relatively short period of time.  Look at your phone for second and be reminded of the "back story" reason for its existence. It is a simple device---now. But the road to its simplicity is paved with lots of reseach and development, trial and error, labor and other resources.  What used to take many separate devices (TV, radio, computer, telephone, etc) has been condensed down to something you can hold in your hand and store in your pocket. I am not sure if this has conserved resources or not in its totality, but it certainly seems to have been an efficient and desirable re-allocation of societal resources.  What do you think?  If you disagree, then you have to respond to me with a technology that is at least 40 years old.  Don't call me on my home phone--I don't have one!

HT: Carpe Diem

No comments:

Post a Comment

View My Stats