Wednesday, October 6, 2010

I may get burned for saying this, but I REALLY like Solar Power! Nice job, White House!

I don't know why I am such a sucker for solar power, but it seems like tapping into this infinite (infinite in terms of as long as humans exist)  resource is a no-brainer.  I certainly understand the technology is not there yet for widespead adoption to run our economy, but it seems like the most promising frontier.  I am not a "green" person by any stretch of the imagination, but we have to get off of fossil fuels everntually, so I think it is good forward thinking policy (nationally and internationally) to move on it as quickly as possible...Where am I going wrong? Go ahead, pop my dream bubble! Extra credit for good counter-examples. 

USA Today: White House to get solar power

""The Obama administration announced Tuesday that the White House will have solar panels to generate electricity and a solar water heater atop the living quarters by spring 2011...""

2 comments:

  1. This is a good alternative to fossil fuels however it is as you said not to a point where it can be used wide spread and is not very cost effective. However Bio Alchols such as Ethanol, Butanol, etc. are things that can be extracted from things in nature such as plants. In some ways this is more cost effective and can serve as a good source of fuel for automobiles. Although this does not resolve all the energy problems it deals with a major one in regards to using less fossil fuels. Even though this helps with only one main problem dealing with energy, it is something that can be put onto a major scale and in some places around the world is already being used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr Palmer---Thank you for the comment...You are correct that every attempt at providing alternative solutions to fossil fuels is adding to the knowledge base in that industry. My worry is that too much "food for fuel" is creating more problems than it solves. Hopefully there will be a break-through and we wont have to worry about it...That is way I am counting on your generation to figure it out! :)

    ReplyDelete

View My Stats