Sunday, December 9, 2012

"Manufacturing is Alive, Manufacturing jobs are Dead". Still hoping some politician somewhere will adopt this honest slogan for a campaign. See graph here on manufacturing employment

Jobs in the manufacturing (specifically, the goods producing sector), relative to other jobs in the economy, have been in decline for a long time. Now, it certainly is possible that there are more jobs in manufacturing overall BUT the number of other jobs has grown at a faster rate--hence manufacturing jobs as a percent of the total is smaller.

Well, I tried to make it look better, but I suspect this is not the case.

Remind me again why politicians spend so much political capital and ACTUAL capital trying to "save" manufacturing jobs?  I don't mean the manufacturing jobs of the future, but they are trying to rescue the jobs of the past, for the most part.

If you need a reminder from the Onion about this, please go HERE (caution---the video contains some inapproriate language!)

Maybe I am missing something. Help me out.


Source: HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

View My Stats