Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Google is known for its tough interview questions/scenarios---I think IKEA has them beat. How would YOU do with this one?

(HT: Mike Fladlein) I would not fair well in this interview. Having just relocated from the Dallas/Ft Worth area to the Chicago area, I have purchased and assembled furniture from IKEA in the past month.
Source: Mike Fladlien

Observations: the quality of "assemble yourself" furniture has improved tremendously in the last 10-15 years or so.  Gone are the days of putting in a screw and it coming out the side if you did not put it in perfectly straight.  The engineering has rendered this almost impossible to do. 

Second, with all the advancements it STILL takes me 2 to 3 times longer to put a piece together.  I underestimate my opportunity costs everytime! 

We had to hire a handyman for a couple of jobs as well.  He told me a good part of his business is FINISHING the assembly of  IKEA furniture that people started and could not finish.  Opportunity Costs...

3 comments:

  1. It is quite interesting and long time remembered post.

    Interview Questions

    ReplyDelete
  2. And always remember: Lie, Lie, Lie, and lie some more because they're not interested in YOU. Because anybody who asks questions like this is somebody you DON'T want to work for.

    ReplyDelete

View My Stats