Sunday, May 22, 2011

Netflix customers collectively consume 30% of US bandwidth. Shouldn't they pay MUCH more for video stream?? See chart here...

I am very ignorant of how the "guts" of information technology works. Sort of like my car--I don't know HOW it works, I just want to turn the key and go.  Is the supply of bandwidth equal to the demand for it? Is supply greater than demand or can the supply be expanded with little extra cost? If I am not mistaken, this is one of the issues with net neutrality.  Can someone give me a middle-school intelligence level explanation of why I should not pay more for my Netflix subscription than I do...   
Source: Business Insider



""Netflix's streaming service is so popular that it's now consuming 30% of peak downstream internet bandwidth in North America, according to data from Sandvine, a broadband equipment company, via TechCrunch.""

No comments:

Post a Comment

View My Stats