Monday, January 11, 2010

Harvard Business School studies a GREAT organizaton---www.indegoafrica.org


Harvard Business School sent interns to study the development model that Indegoafrica is employing in Rwanda to change the lives of survivors of the genocide in 1994. This comment from one of the interns confirms for me that I have chosen a good cause to help promote in my little corner of the world.
What has become clearer to me over the past week or so, is that Indego is really about empowerment, both of the women in the cooperatives and the interns from Orphans of Rwanda who deliver the training.
These women have large families and demanding responsibilities. In my visit, I have been impressed by the skills the women have acquired through the Indego training programs, and more importantly, the sense of confidence and POWER the women posses as a result. They understand profit and cost, marketing and distribution, basic book-keeping, and even some English.
Largely due to the committed trainers and staff at Indego, these women are tough, independent business people who can analyze new business opportunities, and discern would be exploiters.
Please consider going to http://www.indegoafrica.org/ to purchase a VERY unique item for yourself or as a gift for someone.  Stop by my classroom to see the basket I have.  It makes me smile everytime I look at it!!!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Gene,

    On behalf of the whole Indego Africa team, both in Rwanda and the US, I want to thank you for supporting our organization and its mission of social change. One of the many successful things we've done in the past two years is build a grass-roots movement around the women we support and their stories of strength. Thanks for being a part of that movement.

    Best,
    Matt Mitro
    Founder

    ReplyDelete

View My Stats