Sunday, December 13, 2009

The "Stuff" Revolution Started in 1985!


Here are two graphs that support my "rant" on stuff (similar to George Carlin's(language warning!!) and emprically confirms my thoughts about the decade of your birth (late 1980's/1990's) as a period in history that will be studied for its economic advancement.  They show that 1985 is a seminal year.  In that time the size of houses AND garages started to grow rapidly.  I am not sure what came first, however, the increase in the size of houses or the explosion of the production of "stuff" to put in them.  Regardless, it is evidence that life changed in the US in 1985.  Now I need to find a graph of the construction of min-storage facilities to go with these and I will have visual evidence to go with my lecture on why we are dependent on the production of "stuff" in the global economy...

No comments:

Post a Comment

View My Stats